Saturday, August 1, 2009

If I sleep for long enough, will the next 6 months fly by?

It's an awful thing really, wanting to wish away time. I mean here I am dreading turning another year older in 2 weeks, but at the same time I wish I could close my eyes, and re open them to find my future life not being so incredibly far away.
Even that to an extent is not so true. I know what I want. And I know what I need to do to get there. But I've always been an impatient person - Generation Y - apparently we expect things at the click of our fingers, and don't want to do the hard yards.

It's not that I am against doing the hard work. I know for a fact, to get where I want to in 10 years time, I am going to have to do the hard work - work experience, little to no pay, getting peoples coffees for them etc. I don't consider myself above that in the slightest.

I guess my situation is slightly different with this traineeship in that - it is nothing I am passionate about. Hell, I don't even need my retail 2 certificate.
So I'm going to put it out there; I don't love my job. I hate the hours I work. I strongly dislike some of the people I work with. I am told 'they own me' and I cannot request time off, even though I am entitled to full holiday pay when needed.

In nearly 6 months working there, I have had a total of two weekends off. One was given to me, the other I had to request, and they weren't happy in the slightest.
I'm not the sort of person to give up - Apart from the fact the availability of jobs going here is dismal, I tend to push myself to keep going, even if it gets the point of me generally being very unhappy.
However now we are in August. I am giving myself a deadline - no more laziness. My halfway point of my traineeship is up mid september, and that is where I can officially apply for early completion and get the hell out. And that is exactly what I plan to do.
Procrasination is an old friend - but like many old friends, sometimes we need to let them go.

Wish me luck

No comments: